Raisins, the dried-up form of grapes have been known for their nutritional benefits. Raisins are known for many health benefits, some of them being:
- Help in digestion
- Reduce acidity
- Fight Anaemia
- Prevent Cancer
- Treat infections
- Reduce sexual weakness
- Help in weight gain (though this can be the harm for a few!)
- Calcium in raisins are beneficial for bones (source: Stlye Craze )
While acknowledged to be nutritionally and developmentally beneficial, even healthy food items can adversely affect a child’s dental health and cause severe problems in later life, the Mirror reported.
Saara Sabir, a practising dentist and mum-of-one from Salford, said that the most serious culprit of tooth decay was raisins and dried fruit, adding that many parents think they’re a good option because they’re packed with vitamins, but the concentrated sugar content in dried fruit is extremely detrimental to a child’s teeth.
She noted that a small packet of raisins has around 8 teaspoons worth of sugar in. As per the NHS, the recommended daily sugar allowance for children aged four to six years-old is no more than five sugar cubes. For children aged seven to ten, it is no more than six.
The reason dried fruit poses a particular danger is also because of its consistency. Saara continues that raisins are sticky and get stuck in teeth. Therefore the bacteria have a prolonged source of sugar, so it can cause decay for a longer period of time.
She, however, said that because of the nutritional value, it’s better to give your child raisins as a dessert or part of a meal rather than a snack. (Souce: Zee News)