Good bacteria and bad bacteria are constantly fighting! Their battle shall govern whether you will lose or gain weight!
Did you know our gut houses tons of bacteria. Good and bad both. As you are reading this post, there is a war going on between the good and the bad – some 1,000 species of bacteria are duking it out, trying to establish dominance. Why should you care? Because whether the good bacteria in your gut or the bad triumph doesn’t just decide how well you digest your dinner, respond to allergens and fend off diseases—it also helps determine how much weight you’re likely to gain. Or lose.
Beware!! Raisins, the dried form of grapes can hurt your teeth and make you put on weight!
Yes! Bacterias also govern your weight management! “Simply put, if you get the microbiome—that collection of bacteria inside you—healthy, you will lose weight,” says Raphael Kellman, MD, a New York City physician and author of The Microbiome Diet. “It’s less about eating a certain percentage of carbohydrates, protein and fat than about correcting the overgrowth of unhealthy bacteria, which is making you crave the wrong foods, triggering inflammation.”
Also Read: How can you beat Type II Diabetes? Here is how!
This is big news: There are trillions of microbes in your belly that will—if you feed them well—help you fight flab and win.
- Check your 2 P’s : Probiotics are a type of good bacteria, similar to the ones that already reside in your gut. Ingesting these organisms aids digestion and helps change and repopulate intestinal bacteria to balance what doctors refer to as “gut flora.” Prebiotics are plant-fiber compounds, also found in food, that pass undigested through the upper part of the gastrointestinal tract and help stimulate the growth of good bacteria. When pre- and probiotics are combined, they become an intestinal power couple (or, in blunter terms, they kick nutritional butt).
- Intake Live Bacteria : Fermented foods deliver probiotics directly to the gut. A cup of yogurt a day? It’s a nice start. Look for products that say “live and active cultures” on the label, and be careful when it comes to fruit-infused flavors: Some are loaded with sugar, which can feed bad bugs, so be sure to check the ingredients and aim for fewer than 15 grams per serving.
- Fibers is Always Good : Foods that are high in fiber help promote the growth of friendly bacteria. Case in point: In a University of Illinois study, people who ate high-fiber snack bars experienced a growth of anti-inflammatory bacteria in their bellies
Did you know consumption of Indian Gooseberry or Amla, means consumption of the Nectar of Life??
- Mix Your Menu : One study showed that individuals who had a healthy weight, body mass index, waist circumference and blood sugar level were more apt to have high levels of three different types of bacteria—Firmicutes, Bifidobacteria and Clostridium leptum. What’s more, in a pair of French studies, people with diverse gut microbiomes were less likely to be obese or at risk of diabetes. Plus, their intestinal ecosystems were home to fewer pro-inflammatory bacteria. It’s easy to change up your meals: If you had salad with grilled chicken yesterday, for example, go with a fish taco or a tofu stir-fry today.
- Do Not Skip Meals : This one is a no-brainer. What you don’t eat is every bit as crucial as what you do add to your diet. Keep your gut flora fit by cutting back on these offenders.
Source : Healthdotcom
But what happens if you consume energy drinks on a regular basis? Does Red Bull really give you wings?
We started a social campaign, and now we see ourselves growing! Started from a wordpress blog, we are now moving to our very own Newsletter!
Hello food lovers across the country!
Excited to inform you that we, FICCI Research and Analysis Centre have taken up a social awareness campaign.
We aim to educate all consumers about food quality. We have seen that brands as big as the 2-minute noodles can make a blunder. So what is the surety about other products?
FRAC is a food/beverage/animal feed testing and environmental monitoring laboratory.
We want all consumers to be aware of the industry and demand only safe and quality assured products.
With this in mind, we had launched our blog site Food Quotient some time back:
which has started growing. We shared news items across different channels, provide life hacks, video tips, information about the industry.
Seeing its success, we are now heading on to our own Newsletter! We invite everyone to be a part of this campaign. You could drop in your email IDs to subscribe. Request you to visit our blogs, share the ones you like the most! And if you like things under 140 characters, we are there on twitter as well: @FRAC_labs
Hope to gather your support!
This article talks about benefits and harms of raisins, the dried form of grapes. While raisins have many benefits, it may also harm the teeth among kids.
Raisins, the dried-up form of grapes have been known for their nutritional benefits. Raisins are known for many health benefits, some of them being:
- Help in digestion
- Reduce acidity
- Fight Anaemia
- Prevent Cancer
- Treat infections
- Reduce sexual weakness
- Help in weight gain (though this can be the harm for a few!)
- Calcium in raisins are beneficial for bones (source: Stlye Craze )
Did You Know? Aamla is the Nectar Of Life? Read More…
While acknowledged to be nutritionally and developmentally beneficial, even healthy food items can adversely affect a child’s dental health and cause severe problems in later life, the Mirror reported.
Saara Sabir, a practising dentist and mum-of-one from Salford, said that the most serious culprit of tooth decay was raisins and dried fruit, adding that many parents think they’re a good option because they’re packed with vitamins, but the concentrated sugar content in dried fruit is extremely detrimental to a child’s teeth.
Read Also: Study Reveals Energy Drinks Can Cause Cardiovascular Problems
She noted that a small packet of raisins has around 8 teaspoons worth of sugar in. As per the NHS, the recommended daily sugar allowance for children aged four to six years-old is no more than five sugar cubes. For children aged seven to ten, it is no more than six.
The reason dried fruit poses a particular danger is also because of its consistency. Saara continues that raisins are sticky and get stuck in teeth. Therefore the bacteria have a prolonged source of sugar, so it can cause decay for a longer period of time.
She, however, said that because of the nutritional value, it’s better to give your child raisins as a dessert or part of a meal rather than a snack. (Souce: Zee News)
A research on consumption of Energy drinks shows that they hurt our heart, increase our Blood Pressure levels, and long term consumption leads to cardiovascular diseases.
Commercially available energy drinks are much popular these days! They sure do provide that extra lap of jog. But ever wondered what actually happens in our body as we consume these Taurine and Caffeine-rich drinks?
To find out, researchers from the Mayo Clinic looked at the effects of consuming just one 480 ml energy drink, and their conclusion was alarming: the recorded increase in blood pressure and stress hormone responses were so significant that they could conceivably trigger new cardiovascular events. (Source: Science Alert)
To test their theory, the researchers gave 25 healthy volunteers aged 18 years or older a 480 ml can of Rockstar Energy Drink and instructed them to drink it within five minutes. The group had fasted beforehand and also abstained from alcohol and caffeine for 24 hours prior to the experiment.
On another testing day two weeks removed (in a random order), the same participants drank a placebo beverage designed to resemble the energy drink in taste, texture and colour – but lacking any of the caffeine or other stimulants found in the Rockstar drink, which includes 240 mg of caffeine, 2000 mg of taurine, and extracts of guarana seed, ginseng root, and milk thistle.
Read Also: Why do we crave for more McDonald Burgers?
What the researchers found when they compared the results of the two drinking sessions was that consumption of the energy drink saw a 6.4 percent increase in average blood pressure.
Further, the average norepinephrine level – the hormone responsible for mobilising the body into action, especially with regards to the fight-or-flight response – increased from 150 picograms per millilitre to 250 pg/mL in those who consumed the energy drink, whereas the placebo elicited only a 140 pg/mL to 179 pg/mL increase (a 74 percent vs 31 percent change, as the researchers point out).
Find Out: Natural Milk vs Powdered Milk- Who Wins?
“These acute hemodynamic and adrenergic changes may predispose to increased cardiovascular risk,” the authors write. “Further research in larger studies is needed to assess whether the observed acute changes are likely to increase cardiovascular risk.”
Watch: Global Warming Is NOT a Myth!
Everything that is not tasty, ends up being healthy! Isn’t it true? Be it as bitter as bitter gourd or as sour as Gooseberry (or known as Aamla अमला in Hindi).
Let’s look at Aamla then! How is this notoriously sour fruit going to benefit our health? This humble fruit, also known as the Indian gooseberry, is one of the most important foods in Ayurvedic medicine and is a storehouse of good health. It has almost twice the antioxidant power of acai berry and about 17 times that of the pomegranate. Use this inexpensive wonder fruit to stay well this winter. (Source : India Today)
Read Also: How to fight Type II Diabetes
- Cures Sore Throat and Cold – Containing good amount of Vitamin C, Aamla has been known to cure bad throat. How to use it? Simple! Mix 2 teaspoons of aamla powder with 2 teaspoons of honey. Have it three to four times a day for immediate and effective results.
- Relief from Constipation – Tough mornings? Let this fibre rich fruit help you with it! Dried and powdered form of Aamla is easily available in the market, and having it before sleep with lukewarm water smooths the bowel movements!
- Helps in Curing Painful Mouth Ulcers – If taken in liquid form, aamla can also cure mouth ulcers. Dilute aamla juice in half a cup of water, gargle and you’re set.
- Anti-inflammatory properties – Aamla helps in reducing arthritis-related pain. Snack on dried aamla or have it fresh and raw. Both work.
Read Also: Benefits of Tulsi
- Weight loss – Are you working out hard to reduce your weight? Including aamla in your diet will achieve amazing benefits as it improves metabolism and aids in faster digestion.
Want to live longer? We have the secret! Eat more!
It has been observed that there has been a rise in the number of people suffering from Type-2 Diabetes. Reasons are many, but it really does come down to one main cause – poor lifestyle.
So how to beat Diabetes? Improve lifestyle! Here are 5 basic yet very effective changes that you may bring to your lifestyle to control your sugar levels. (source: Everyday Health) So go ahead, beat diabetets this World Diabetes Day!
- Improve Diet: A healthy diet for people with type 2 diabetes includes fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, beans, lean meats, and low-fat dairy. Focus on eating fruits and non-starchy vegetables, like broccoli, carrots, and lettuce, and having smaller portions of starchy foods, meat, and dairy products. Be especially careful about loading up on foods that are high on the glycemic index (GI), a system that ranks foods according to how they affect glucose levels. High-GI foods include white breads, white rice, and soda.
Watch: How to protect your food?
- Lose Weight: Where your fat is distributed also affects your diabetes risk and management. People who carry most of their fat in their belly (apple shape) are more prone to type 2 diabetes than those with fat mostly in the thighs, hips, and buttocks (pear shape). A woman whose waist measures more than 35 inches and a man with a 40-inch waist need to lose weight for good diabetes management.
Read Also: How can Tulsi Help?
- Exercise Regularly: When you do physical activity, such as walking, your muscle contractions push glucose out of your blood into your cells. The result: Better blood sugar levels. Of course, the more intense the exercise, the better. Regular weight-lifting sessions can also help keep blood sugar levels steady.
- Control Sleep Apnea: Sleep apnea is a condition in which a person stops breathing temporarily while sleeping. People with type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea are at higher risk of death from heart attack and stroke. Their blood sugar levels also fluctuate more dramatically while sleeping than in those who have type 2 diabetes, but not sleep apnea, according to one study. These fluctuations have been linked to a higher risk for diabetic complications.
- Soothe Stress: Stress relief may help you sleep better and is important because not getting enough sleep can worsen type 2 diabetes. Sleeping less than six hours a night has also been found to contribute to impaired glucose tolerance, a condition that often precedes type 2 diabetes.
Read Also: Eat Healthiest Rice Only
- Besides yoga, try deep breathing before bed. Other tips to try:
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine, and spicy foods at night.
- Maintain a slightly cool temperature in your sleep environment.
- Block out all light and noise.
- Go to bed at the same time every night to establish a sleep schedule.
So basically, eat well, work out well and take it easy and sleep just fine! Enjoying life and taking care of yourself helps!
Hundreds of summits, thousands of protests all around the globe, world leaders coming together to discuss one thing – Global Warming. And yet, quite a lot believe it is all just a myth. Most industrialists do not accept what is proven by Science. The ignorance might be a mask of concern about losses in business. But this video below has been recorded as the biggest caving yet – Greenland is melting!
Request you to watch it, share it, and most importantly ACT upon it. Fossil fuels are not going to last forever. Protect environment!
Read Also: Anti-Dengue Fogging Is Hurting Environment
Published on 14 Dec 2012
This rare footage has gone on record as the largest glacier calving event ever captured on film, by the 2016 Guiness Book of World Records.
On May 28, 2008, Adam LeWinter and Director Jeff Orlowski filmed a historic breakup at the Ilulissat Glacier in Western Greenland. The calving event lasted for 75 minutes and the glacier retreated a full mile across a calving face three miles wide. The height of the ice is about 3,000 feet, 300-400 feet above water and the rest below water.
Footage produced by James Balog (http://jamesbalog.com) and the Extreme Ice Survey (http://extremeicesurvey.org)
Chasing Ice won the award for Excellence in Cinematography at the 2012 Sundance Film Festival and a 2013 Emmy Award for Outstanding Nature Programming. It has won over 40 awards at festivals worldwide, and was also nominated for an Academy Award for Best Original Song, “Before My Time” by J. Ralph featuring Scarlett Johansson and Joshua Bell.
“It is estimated that cigarette smoking kills over 10,00,000 people each year by causing lung cancer as well as many other neoplasmas.”
It is our humble request, please quit smoking. Lives are precious.
Watch this video about how does cigarette affect us!
Read Also: How to Detoxify Lungs, Once You Quit Smoking
Source: Discovery News
We came across an interesting video on Youtube, about how to test the honey in your shelf, if its pure?
Many times, the honey we buy, is fluked. And we end up paying good amount of money for a adulterated honey. So how do we test, at home, if the honey we bought is pure or impure?
Grab that bottle of honey from your kitchen shelf, and follow these simple steps! Yes! You can test honey’s purity at home! Let us know if your purchase was pure or not?