Ever had a day when the only thing ruling your day is a terrible headache! It could be because of any reason – stress, tension, indigestion, restlessness, sinus problems, migraines, lack of sleep and dehydration.
Many people reach for over-the-counter medicines to get rid of their headaches. However, you can get instant pain relief using some easy and natural home remedies. Here are some remedies for curing the headache that has kept you from focussing on work:
- Consume lots of water: If the cause of your headache is dehydration, you can easily get relief from the pain by rehydrating your body.
- Simply drink a glass of water at the first sign of a headache and continue taking small sips throughout the day.
- Along with water, you can have sports drinks. The electrolytes present in sports drinks can treat headaches caused by tension and dehydration.
When suffering from a headache, stay away from drinks like alcohol that can dehydrate your body
- Put some Ice Pack: Placing a cold compress like an ice pack on your forehead will numb the pain, help shrink the blood vessels and improve circulation to the area. This particular remedy works well for headaches due to stress or sinus problems.
- Wrap some ice cubes or crushed ice in a thin towel. Hold it against your forehead for a few minutes. A bag of frozen vegetables can also serve as an icepack. Never apply ice directly on your skin as it can damage the skin.
- Alternatively, apply a cold cloth on your head and temples for 10 minutes and repeat the process for some time until you get relief.
- Elixir of Ginger: Ginger is a home remedy for instant relief. It helps reduce inflammation of the blood vessels in the head, hence easing the pain. And since it stimulates digestion, it also helps quell the nausea which occurs during migraines.
Wondering how to use this miracle ingredient? Steep ginger root for tea, or mix equal parts of ginger juice and lemon juice and drink up. You can consume this once or twice a day. You can also apply a paste of ginger powder and 2 tablespoons water on your forehead for a few minutes to provide quicker relief.
Did you know, green tea can reduce your Arthritis?
- An Apple a Day Keeps Headaches Away as well: Both apples and apple cider vinegar can be used to fight off a headache. They help restore the acid-alkaline balance in the body. Furthermore, simply the smell of green apples can help reduce migraine headaches.
- When you wake up in the morning with a headache, eat a piece of apple sprinkled with some salt. Then drink some warm water.
- Alternatively, fill a large bowl with steaming hot water and add 3 to 4 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to it. Hold a towel over your head and take in the steam for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Another option is to add 2 teaspoons of some apple cider vinegar to a glass of water. You can also add a little honey and lemon juice. Drink it 2 or 3 times a day.
Did you know, apple cedar also helps in keeping the skin glowing!
- Cinnamon does the charm: Cinnamon is a miracle spice that can effectively treat headaches. Wondering how to use it? Here’s help: Grind some cinnamon sticks into a powder, and add some water to make a thick paste. Apply it on your forehead and temples and lie down for 30 minutes. Then wash it off with lukewarm water.
Source: NDTV Food