Bromine is a chemical compound frequently used in flame retardants, baking ingredients, cell phones, plastic, dye, soda, and prescription drugs. Bromine is found naturally in the earth’s crust and in seawater in various chemical forms. Bromine can also be found as an alternative to chlorine in swimming pools. Products containing bromine are also used in agriculture and sanitation.
Research has identified the following 10 dangers of bromine as the most damaging to human health. Edibles that carry bromine are the most dangerous, as they are directly consumed.
Source: Global Healing Center
- Affects Thyroid Functionality: Lack of iodine causes thyroid related health problems. Bromine on the other hand is anti-iodine. It restricts the absorption of iodine in body, which is essential for the health of thyroid hormones. Bromine exposure impairs the gland, and results in health issues like hypothyroidism, goiter, and hormonal imbalance.
- Preterm Births and Birth Defects: Another role that iodine plays is keeping the process of conception and pregnancy healthy. And as stated above, Bromine restricts iodine absorption. Exposure to bromine to expectant mothers may increase risk for delivering preterm babies. Avoiding the bromine exposure can also be tricky. Even if you avoid baking ingredients and soda, bromine can also be present in drinking water. An Australian study even reported a link between bromide exposure and birth defects.
- Affects Cognitive Development and Failure: Mental dysfunction related to the overexposure to bromine is so common it even has a name — bromism. In one specific case of bromism, a patient consumed vast amounts of soda that contained brominated vegetable oil. The patient experienced problems including fatigue, headache, memory problems, and loss of muscle control.
- Skin puffs and burns: Bromine acnes are pus-filled eruptions and lesions were observed in individuals who took bromine for nerve conditions.
- It is cancerous: The International Agency for the Research on Cancer has identified potassium bromate (the ingredient used in bread and baking) as a known carcinogen. Although tests have only been performed on animals, the Agency states it may also behave as a carcinogen in humans.
However, a research shows that olive oil has compound that can fight cancer. Read more.
It is important to test food products for bromine content. As per BIS norms water must not contain bromate. Get your product tested from FICCI Research and Analysis Centre. Call 011-45333500 / 529 or drop an email at : firstname.lastname@example.org