In our traditions, turmeric holds a lot of value. On the day of marriage, the bride and grooms are given facial pack made of turmeric powder paste. In Ayurveda, turmeric is a healing herb. Wounds heal upon the application of turmeric paste. Turmeric is not only believed to heal an external wound, but internal injuries as well. Turmeric happens to be one of the most researched plant.
Source: Wise Mind Healthy
Turmeric has proven, medically, to be effective against –
- Cholesterol and Steroids: Various studies have suggested that turmeric helps reducing cholesterol. It may prove to be an alternative to medicines such as Lipitor/Atorvastatin(cholesterol medication). Corticosteroids (steroid medications) – A 1999 study published in the journal Phytotherapy Research found that the primary polyphenol in turmeric, the saffron colored pigment known as curcumin, compared favorably to steroids in the management of chronic anterior uveitis, an inflammatory eye disease.
- Antidepressants and Blood Thinner: A 2011 study published in the journalActa Poloniae Pharmaceutica found that curcumin compared favorably to both drugs in reducing depressive behavior in an animal model. It may replace Prozac/Fluoxetine & Imipramine (antidepressants). A 1986 in vitro and ex vivo study published in the journalArzneimittelforschung found that curcumin has anti-platelet and prostacyclin modulating effects compared to aspirin, indicating it may have value in patients prone to vascular thrombosis and requiring anti-arthritis therapy. Turmeric may prove to be an alternative to Aspirin.
- Anti-Inflammatory and Chemotherapy: A study shows that turmeric is an effective alternative to the drugs aspirin, ibuprofen, sulindac, phenylbutazone, naproxen, indomethacin, diclofenac, dexamethasone, celecoxib, and tamoxifen in exerting anti-inflammatory and anti-proliferative activity against tumor cells. Oxaliplatin (chemotherapy drug): A 2007 study published in the International Journal of Cancer found that curcumin compares favorably with oxaliplatin as an antiproliferative agenet in colorectal cell lines.
- Fights Diabetes: Turmeric is valuable in treating diabetes, finding that it activates AMPK (which increases glucose uptake) and suppresses gluconeogenic gene expression (which suppresses glucose production in the liver) in hepatoma cells.
One may also control TypeII diabetes with simple lifestyle changes. Interestingly, they found curcumin to be 500 times to 100,000 times (in the form known as tetrahydro curcuminoids (THC)) more potent than Metformin in activating AMPK and its downstream target acetyl-CoA carboxylase (ACC).
A research has also lead to making an artificial pancreas that is more effective than insulin!
- Cancer Treatment: Another way in which turmeric and its components reveal their remarkable therapeutic properties is in research on drug resistant- and multi-drug resistant cancers.
Apart from turmeric, even olive oil compounds have been found out to have cancer-killing properties.