Benefits and Harms of Raisins

This article talks about benefits and harms of raisins, the dried form of grapes. While raisins have many benefits, it may also harm the teeth among kids.

Advertisements

Raisins, the dried-up form of grapes have been known for their nutritional benefits. Raisins are known for many health benefits, some of them being:

  1. Help in digestion
  2. Reduce acidity
  3. Fight Anaemia
  4. Prevent Cancer
  5. Treat infections
  6. Reduce sexual weakness
  7. Help in weight gain (though this can be the harm for a few!)
  8. Calcium in raisins are beneficial for bones (source: Stlye Craze )

Did You Know? Aamla is the Nectar Of Life? Read More…

While acknowledged to be nutritionally and developmentally beneficial, even healthy food items can adversely affect a child’s dental health and cause severe problems in later life, the Mirror reported.

Saara Sabir, a practising dentist and mum-of-one from Salford, said that the most serious culprit of tooth decay was raisins and dried fruit, adding that many parents think they’re a good option because they’re packed with vitamins, but the concentrated sugar content in dried fruit is extremely detrimental to a child’s teeth.

Read Also: Study Reveals Energy Drinks Can Cause Cardiovascular Problems

She noted that a small packet of raisins has around 8 teaspoons worth of sugar in. As per the NHS, the recommended daily sugar allowance for children aged four to six years-old is no more than five sugar cubes. For children aged seven to ten, it is no more than six.

The reason dried fruit poses a particular danger is also because of its consistency. Saara continues that raisins are sticky and get stuck in teeth. Therefore the bacteria have a prolonged source of sugar, so it can cause decay for a longer period of time.

She, however, said that because of the nutritional value, it’s better to give your child raisins as a dessert or part of a meal rather than a snack. (Souce: Zee News)

 

All the Fuss Leading to Lead


Lead was found in Maggi. Lead was found in Yipee. Instant noodles were banned because there is lead in it. But what does lead lead to, that has created all the fuss in the media today? (sources: NRDC; KingCounty )

Lead as poison (scientific name: Plumbum)

  1. Inhibits oxygen and calcium transport and altering nerve transmission in the brain.
  2. Builds up in soft tissue — kidneys, bone marrow, liver, and brain — as well as bones and teeth.
  3. Lead can cause permanent damage including reduced IQ, learning disabilities, and shortened attention span.
  4. Low-level chronic lead exposure in childhood can alter secretion of the human growth hormone, stunting growth and promoting obesity.
  5. Even at low levels, lead can be harmful and be associated with:

  6. Behavior issues
  7. Nervous system damage
  8. Speech and language impairment
  9. Decreased muscle growth
  10. Decreased bone growth
  11. Kidney damage
  12. High levels of lead are life threatening and can cause seizures, unconsciousness, and death.

There is no safe level for Lead intake. Prolonged use of small quantity of lead can also cause serious health issues. And high-level intake can even cause death.

And this is why there has been so much fuss related to lead.