We have been using Vapor Rubs since the age when we loved falling sick after having long soccer sessions in the rains! It has been a household remedy to whenever we have chest congestion, blocked nose or a heavy head. But did you know about the amazing 8 benefits of the vapour rubs?
- Helps Reducing Acnes and Pimples: has several acne fighting ingredients such as camphor and eucalyptus oil that will dry out the acne overnight. All you have to do is put a little dab of Vicks directly on the pimple and leave overnight. You could also try these natural remedies for a glowing skin!
- Toenail or Fingernail Fungus: has a fungus-fighting ingredient called thymol, an oil that comes from Thyme. If you think your nail has become infected apply Vicks directly to the nail twice a day. Cover your feet with socks at bedtime, and continue to trim the nails until the infected part is removed effectively.
- Insect Repellent: contains cedarleaf oil, which is a natural insect repellant. Simply rub on skin or clothes to repel insects.
- Aching Muscles: contains camphor and menthol, which both have antiseptic qualities. This is great when you want to speed up healing time simply rub onto affected area.
- Healing Cracked Heels: Cracked heels can be an absolute nightmare to heal, especially if you are constantly on your feet. Before you go to bed, spread a thick layer of the rub on your heels and feet. Massage for 5 minutes and wear socks to lock in miosture overnight. In the morning get up early and wash feet with warm water. Repeat until heels are restored
- Soothing Minor Burns: Quick relief for MINOR burns would be to run under cool water and apply the vapur rub.
Here are some natural remedies for headaches!
- Splinters and Small Cuts: The rub contains camphor and menthol, which both have antiseptic qualities. This is great when you want to speed up healing time simply rub onto affected area.
- Tennis Elbow: Menthol and camphor in Vicks will heal the aching elbow. Re-apply till the elbow stops aching.
Source: Aunty Acid
In our traditions, turmeric holds a lot of value. On the day of marriage, the bride and grooms are given facial pack made of turmeric powder paste. In Ayurveda, turmeric is a healing herb. Wounds heal upon the application of turmeric paste.
Turmeric happens to be one of the most researched plant.
In our traditions, turmeric holds a lot of value. On the day of marriage, the bride and grooms are given facial pack made of turmeric powder paste. In Ayurveda, turmeric is a healing herb. Wounds heal upon the application of turmeric paste. Turmeric is not only believed to heal an external wound, but internal injuries as well. Turmeric happens to be one of the most researched plant.
Source: Wise Mind Healthy
Turmeric has proven, medically, to be effective against –
- Cholesterol and Steroids: Various studies have suggested that turmeric helps reducing cholesterol. It may prove to be an alternative to medicines such as Lipitor/Atorvastatin(cholesterol medication). Corticosteroids (steroid medications) – A 1999 study published in the journal Phytotherapy Research found that the primary polyphenol in turmeric, the saffron colored pigment known as curcumin, compared favorably to steroids in the management of chronic anterior uveitis, an inflammatory eye disease.
- Antidepressants and Blood Thinner: A 2011 study published in the journalActa Poloniae Pharmaceutica found that curcumin compared favorably to both drugs in reducing depressive behavior in an animal model. It may replace Prozac/Fluoxetine & Imipramine (antidepressants). A 1986 in vitro and ex vivo study published in the journalArzneimittelforschung found that curcumin has anti-platelet and prostacyclin modulating effects compared to aspirin, indicating it may have value in patients prone to vascular thrombosis and requiring anti-arthritis therapy. Turmeric may prove to be an alternative to Aspirin.
- Anti-Inflammatory and Chemotherapy: A study shows that turmeric is an effective alternative to the drugs aspirin, ibuprofen, sulindac, phenylbutazone, naproxen, indomethacin, diclofenac, dexamethasone, celecoxib, and tamoxifen in exerting anti-inflammatory and anti-proliferative activity against tumor cells. Oxaliplatin (chemotherapy drug): A 2007 study published in the International Journal of Cancer found that curcumin compares favorably with oxaliplatin as an antiproliferative agenet in colorectal cell lines.
- Fights Diabetes: Turmeric is valuable in treating diabetes, finding that it activates AMPK (which increases glucose uptake) and suppresses gluconeogenic gene expression (which suppresses glucose production in the liver) in hepatoma cells.
One may also control TypeII diabetes with simple lifestyle changes. Interestingly, they found curcumin to be 500 times to 100,000 times (in the form known as tetrahydro curcuminoids (THC)) more potent than Metformin in activating AMPK and its downstream target acetyl-CoA carboxylase (ACC).
A research has also lead to making an artificial pancreas that is more effective than insulin!
- Cancer Treatment: Another way in which turmeric and its components reveal their remarkable therapeutic properties is in research on drug resistant- and multi-drug resistant cancers.
Apart from turmeric, even olive oil compounds have been found out to have cancer-killing properties.